Most of the international schools in Ghana have shutdown following the confirmation of two coronavirus cases in the capital, Accra.

The schools include the Ghana International School and the Swiss German International School in Accra.

The Head Principal of Ghana International School Dr. Mary Ashun confirmed to parents the school has been temporarily closed down effective Friday, March 13, 2020 following the outbreak of the coronavirus.

The school explained that the move is in line with its board’s policy on emergencies.

“After consultation with the GIS Board of Directors and following my email last night on the positive Coronavirus cases, I would like to announce that the Ghana International School will close at the end of the School Day today, 13th March 2020 at 3:30 pm for the next two weeks till 27th March 2020. This early closure is in line with Board Policy on Emergencies,” a statement from the school announced.

“All students are required to stay home during this time with learning support continuing through our Virtual Learning platforms previously communicated to all parents and guardians. Further detail on how this will function will be communicated soon and this will enable learning to continue,” the statement added.

The school also expressed confidence in the capability of the Government of Ghana to ensure the coronavirus infection is brought under control.

“We are confident that the measures outlined by the W.H.O and the Government of Ghana will enable Healthcare Professionals to act swiftly to ensure all operations return to normal as soon as possible. As this early closure period will lead into the regularly scheduled Easter Break, let me take the opportunity to wish you a safe and restful season with advised travel to affected areas.”

“Term 3 is still scheduled to begin on Tuesday 14th April 2020 at which time we will receive our students back to campus. Should anything change, we will inform all our stakeholders by the means we have been using so far,” the school added in the statement.

Meanwhile, the Ghana Education Service (GES) and the Ghana Health Service have met over measures to keep schoolchildren safe in the wake of the virus in Ghana.

“Among the issues discussed were: Finalisation of content on Education materials, orientation and sensitization of staff and students of GES, call centre lines for teachers to call in case any of the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 is detected in any of the children,” a statement from the agencies after the meeting said.

Ghana has so far confirmed two cases of the deadly virus. One of the infected persons is a Norwegian diplomat in Ghana, while the other is a Ghanaian who returned from Turkey. Both individuals have been in the country for about a week before detection

“Both individuals returned to Ghana from Norway and Turkey. So these are imported cases of COVID -19 Both patients are currently being kept in isolation and are stable. We have initiated processes for contact tracing.

“I wish to assure all Ghanaians that the Government of Ghana together with all Health Partners will continue to work assiduously to ensure the situation is contained. We wish to encourage every Ghanaian to take care of their health and that of their families by adhering to the following precautionary measures,” the Health minister said.

Hand Sanitizers

Hand sanitizers have run out at the biggest malls in Ghana less than 24 hours after the West African country confirmed two cases of the coronavirus.

Dailymailgh.com correspondents who visited the Accra Maill, West Hills Mall and Achimota Mall were unable to buy a single hand sanitizer with all shops saying they have run out of stock.

The shoprites and Game shops including all the dispensaries at the malls do not have hand sanitizers, according to attendants.

“We don’t have,” a shop attendant at Shoprite at Accra Mall said. “We had some on Wednesday but today we’ve run out of sanitizers.”

“Not even our warehouse,” a dispensary attendant said.

“I have visited two shops here and still I can’t get one [hand sanitizer]. I’m quite disturbed and I want some for my children,” Elizabeth Quaye, a mother of three told Dailymailgh.com.

Some pharmacy shops in Accra have also run out of stock.

The Ministry of Health has confirmed two cases of Coronavirus in Ghana. The cases were confirmed on March 12, 2020 after tests proved positive at the Noguchi memorial institute.

Speaking at a press conference Thursday evening, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu said the two affected persons were from Norway and Turkey and have since been quarantined in the capital, Accra.

“The Ministry of Health has confirmed two cases of Covid-19. Both individuals returned to Ghana from Norway and Turkey. So these are imported cases of COVID-19.

“I wish to assure all Ghanaians that the Government of Ghana together with all Health Partners will continue to work assiduously to ensure the situation is contained,” the health minister told the media.

He added: “Both patients are currently being kept in isolation and are stable. We have initiated processes for contact tracing.”

Ghana becomes the latest country in West Africa to report the novel covid-19 after Nigeria, Senegal, Togo, Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso.

President Akufo-Addo in an address to the nation on Wednesday disclosed that $100 million has been released to enhance Ghana’s Coronavirus preparedness and response plan. He said the amount is to “fund expansion of infrastructure, purchase of materials and equipment, and public education.”

All Ghanaian public officials have been banned temporarily from foreign travels as part of measures to contain the spread of the disease.

Source: Daily Mail GH

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here